If you have a notorious dog then you must know how hard it is to always keep an eye on him. As soon as you turn your back for a minute only, all hell breaks loose. That is when you realize that you need an indoor dog playpen for your home.
An indoor dog playpen is a great option for dogs who don’t like to sit or tied down. Even small puppies come under this category. They cannot be trusted and can chew your sofa or anything within the reach.
A playpen limits the ability of a dog to make trouble and keep them in a confined space without being tied up.
If you don’t know how to select an indoor pen for your canine then you can go through our quick guide at the end of the paragraph.
Also, we have already done the hard work for you and selected the top-selling best indoor dog playpen. You can check them out below.
- 1 List of Top 10 Best Indoor Dog Playpen for all sized dogs:
- 1.1 North States Mypet Petyard Passage
- 1.2 IRIS USA Excercise Pet Playpen with Door
- 1.3 MidWest Homes for Pets Folding Metal Exercise Pen
- 1.4 Furhaven Pet Playpen – Indoor-Outdoor Mesh Open-Air Playpen
- 1.5 North States Pet North States Mypet 7 Sq.’. Stages Indoor and Outdoor Petyard
- 1.6 HEPEENG Portable Foldable Pet Playpen and Puppy playpen Pet Tent with Carrying Case Collapsible Travel Bowl
- 1.7 Pet Trex Foldable Metal Pet Exercise Playpen – Indoor/Outdoor Enclosure with Gate for Dogs, Cats, or Small Animals
- 1.8 X-ZONE PET Portable Foldable Pet Dog Cat Playpen
- 1.9 Autokcan Portable Pet Playpen
- 1.10 Petsfit Dog Playpen/Pet Playpen
List of Top 10 Best Indoor Dog Playpen for all sized dogs:
This is a widely used indoor dog playpen from North States Mypet and it is available in 4, 6, or 8-panel pet yard passages. The Playpen is made from plastic and it comes with a lockable door and adjustable 8-panel play yard which is 26” in height.
The durable skid-resistant pads make it stay put and don’t scratch or damage the flooring. It can be used as both an indoor and outdoor playpen for dogs and other pets.
With all the 8 panels attached, it gives a 34.8 sq. ft area and it is suitable for both small and medium-sized dogs.
- Lockable door with an easy click-to-assemble panel.
- Light in weight which makes it easy to carry, store or move.
- Multiple panel adjustability makes it suitable for putting in more than one dog.
- Small swinging door for entry and exit of dog.
- Provides a large area for your dog to play.
- Made up of plastic.
- Not ideal for bigger breeds.
Next on our list is the Iris USA exercise pet playpen. It is available in multiple panel options such as 4, 6, or 8 panels with 24” or 34” height. Another panel for the gate is also available.
It can be used as a fence for small to medium-sized dogs.
It can be molded into the desired shape as per the need. One of the best indoor playpen for puppies.
- Easily portable.
- Easy to assemble panels.
- Gate panel also available.
- Easy to store.
- Made out of plastic.
- You have to buy the gate panel separately.
The most commonly used design for dogs is a steel-wired one and Midwest homes provide just the thing. It is a strong and basic design that is available in multiple height options starting from 24” to 48”. Suitable for both small and large dogs.
It can be easily tied down used the clips and stakes provided along.
Super easy to set up.
- Sturdy design.
- Best playpen for large dogs.
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Secure double latch step-through door access.
- Exercise Pen/ Pet Playpen folds flat for convenient storage.
- Available in multiple colors.
- A little bulky to move when assembled.
- Welding clamps of consecutive panels provide some sharp edges that could potentially cause injury.
The style of this dog pen is tent-style which ensures security and provides an enclosed space for small pets or lounge.
It can be used as both an indoor and outdoor playpen for dogs. It is available in multiple sizes from small to extra large.
This dog tent is 42” wide x 36” deep x 29” tall x and has a door of 17.5”x15”.
- The light mesh and ceiling deliver great airflow.
- Easy to open and acts as a pop-up tent which makes it highly flexible for travels and outdoor activities.
- Easy to clean.
- Zipped entrance with fabric tie-up for easy access
- You have to be careful while unfolding the tent as it might startle others and your dog as well.
- Not suitable for pets with excessive teething or destructive chewing behavior.
This is an easy-to-install free-standing pet yard that is suitable for small dogs. It can be expanded using some extra panels.
It is made out of plastic and good for indoor usage as the safe non-slip pads are made of easy to wipe clean material
- Very lightweight and easy to carry and store.
- Safe for floors as it includes non-slip pads.
- Can be expanded.
- Easy to install.
- Made up of plastic.
- Not suitable for large dogs.
Another good tent-style playpen for dogs that comes in quite handy during travels. It is available in 3 sizes and it is made up of breathable lightweight fabric.
The main feature of this dog playpen is that it is durable and spacious and can be carried easily. On a camping trip, you use it as a portable dog kennel.
Best suitable for small to medium-sized dogs.
- Can be folded and carried easily
- Made from comfortable material for your pet.
- Can be washed off easily.
- Comes with a free cup for your dog.
- Ceiling and zippered door.
- Not suitable if your dog has bad chewing habits as he can easily tear it away.
- You have to be careful while unfolding as it can startle you or your dog.
This is your average steel-wired dog playpen which can also be used for other small animals. It includes 8 panels measuring 24 inches in both height and width.
Made out of durable steel wires it can be used as both indoor and outdoor dog playpen.
It comes with ground anchors and corner stabilizers.
- Easy to install and store.
- Secure double latch door access.
- Shape adjustability.
- Hard to move once assembled.
- The size is good for small dogs or animals only.
This is another tent-type pet playpen that is available in multiple sizes and colors. It is suitable for small to medium-sized dogs and does not require any special assembly.
It can be used both indoors and outdoors and quite portable.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- 8 Fully ventilated mesh panels for fresh air, with the zippered front door.
- Can be washed very easily.
- Side pocket for keeping toys and other stuff.
- If your pet has a chewing problem then he can easily tear the material.
This is also a tent-style playpen for dogs of small to large sizes (such as a retriever). Just like other tent-type designs, it is also very lightweight and easy to carry on a camping trip.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- Indoor/Outdoor usage.
- Washable and breathable mesh fabric with the ceiling.
- Easy to assemble.
- Comes with a free collapsible pet food bowl.
- The chewing problem remains here as well, so don’t buy it if your dog has a chewing problem.
The last one on our list is also a tent-type playpen which has similar features to the ones mentioned above. It is available in 2 sizes and made from comfortable material which can be used indoors and outdoors both.
- Easy to carry, store and assemble.
- Easy to wash.
- Airy mesh-type structure from sides and a ziplock gate.
- Waterproof bottom
- Your pet can easily chew it off, if he has chewing problems then don’t buy it, go with a steel-wired one.
Final Thoughts:- Every dog is different and so does its abilities. You cannot put a tag on a single indoor dog playpen to be the best for everyone. It depends on the size, nature, and activeness of that dog.
That is why we have divided it into categories:
Best indoor dog playpen for small dogs: IRIS USA Excercise Pet Playpen with Door
Best indoor dog playpen for large dogs: MidWest Homes for Pets Folding Metal Exercise Pen
Best indoor dog playpen for medium-sized dogs: North States Mypet Petyard Passage
Best dog playpen for camping outdoors: HEPEENG Portable Foldable Pet Playpen with a collapsible cup.
Things you need to consider before buying the best indoor dog playpen:
- Size of your dog
Some dogs are small like poodle and chihuahua while others are big and bulky such as Pitbull or Great Dane.
The basic idea is that a playpen should have enough space so that your dog can sit or lie around comfortably and there should be enough space for him to play as well.
The height of your dog also matters a lot. If your dog is high enough he can easily jump out and the playpen would be of no use, so make sure to take a note of it.
Consider the size of your and think for yourself he is able to fit into it and play in it or not.
- The escaping ability/ chewing habits of your dog
My dog is really mischievous. The first time I bought a playpen I made a mistake and did not consider his height or how intelligent he is. Well that being said my first playpen was a waste.
Do not make the same mistake, always consider the height of the dog and if he is prone to chewing then make sure the pen is made out of such a material that does not harm your dog if bits of it are swallowed or do not come off in the first place.
- Location of the playpen
Some playpen is designed for indoor use only while others are designed for both indoor and outdoor use both.
Keep this factor in mind that you want to use this playpen indoors only or outdoors too, as for outdoor activities the playpen also comes with a ceiling and other amenities which a dog might require.
- Portability of playpen
It is not always that your dog will live inside the playpen. That is why make sure it is portable enough so that you can move it away in order to move freely when not in use as takes a good amount of space in your home.
Some people buy the playpen for their puppies and once they grow up they don’t need it anymore. But that doesn’t mean that you will not need it in the future as well.
That is why make sure the playpen is easy to store as it is not a product that will go bad with time. You never know when you are going to use it again.
The indoor dog playpen comes in different shapes and sizes. They are mostly made out of panels that can be removed or added at your convenience.
The most common is the 4 and 6 panels playpen. You can always buy some extra panels to make the playpen larger if you have multiple dogs or puppies or the size of your dog is large.
- Material used
The wooden playpen is safe for dogs and completely organic. However, the problem with the wooden playpen is that it is heavier in weight and with some years of usage the wood starts to go bad if not taken care of properly.
Plastic dog playpen is somewhat fancy than other types of dog playpen but the problem with plastic is most of the dogs chew whatever comes in their way and a plastic playpen is no exception.
That is why try to avoid plastic-made playpen and if you have to buy make sure the plastic is safe to use and non-toxic if ingested.
- Steel Wire
This is the most commonly used material for making playpen for pets whether it be dogs, cats, or other small animals.
Steel wired playpen can be used for small to large-sized dogs and they are durable enough to last for a few years.
The best part is, together after assembly the steel wired playpen might become bulky but after dismantling the setup it is quite easy to store, carry or resize.
- Cloth and rod
The playpen made using cloth and rods are mainly used for outdoor purposes but works as an indoor playpen as well. They have a tent-like structure.
The main advantage of using these types of playpen is that they are very light in weight and with some of them a cloth ceiling or base also comes complimentary which is not available in other types of the playpen.
- Ease of setup
A few indoor dog panels require some extra work to set up while others are very easy to set up and use.
Always read reviews online before you buy the best indoor playpen for your dog and select the one which required minimum effort to set up.