If it comes to titles for black cats, then there are several awesome choices like Batman, Black Jack, and Binks. Whether a kitty is a male or a female, then take a while to navigate through the very amazing and special titles for your glossy, dark buddy. So it is important to carefully select the best possible black cat names for your friend.
You have stocked up on food, chosen out toys, and also approved everything you have will be covered by fur. Now all that is left is choosing a title to your feline buddy — and when you are the new proud owner of a black lady, you are aware they frequently inspire the top titles (and superstitions! ) ) Outside there.
Mysterious, exceptional, and oh-so-bewitching, black hat titles certainly deserve a genius moniker to meet their sexy personalities and stunning dark fur jacket — and fortunately for you, we have rounded up a few of the very best, most distinctive ones on the market. Whether you’re searching for a timeless title such as “Shadow” or some more creative one that is motivated by pop or food culture, allow your feline lovely jet-black jacket — and unique character — function as your inspiration if coming up with a notion as ideal because she (or else ) is. Listed below are a choice of black-cat titles so great you will only need to spring for a customized name label — along with a fitting collar obviously.
Picking a black cat name is one of the biggest decisions you’ll make as a pet owner. It’s something that will stick with you and your cat for 10-15+ years.
But How Do You Pick The Black Cat Names?
Finding a name that fits your cat’s personality and appearance and gels with your personal taste isn’t easy, but when you find the right one, you’ll feel it in your gut.
Color-Inspired Black Cat Names
When it comes to naming black cats, we all know their striking dark coat is the perfect source of inspiration. These names —inspired by shades of black and dark colors — are simple and classic monikers for your dark-furred feline.
Food-Inspired Black Cat Names
If you’re a total foodie (and maybe your cat is too?), these names — inspired by dark, delicious delights and other foods — are the perfect names to call your furry, food-loving friend.
Magic-Inspired Black Cat Names
What better time to embrace the spooky black cat superstition than now? These mystical, mysterious, and magic-inspired names are perfect for that black cat that just gives off that cool, magical aura.
Pop Culture-Inspired Black Cat Names
Calling all movie buffs and pop culture fans! These names honor some of our favorite and most famous A-list felines that have graced the big screen or appeared in popular novels and stories.
- Bagheera (from The Jungle Book)
- Binx (from Hocus Pocus)
- Cat (from Breakfast at Tiffany’s)
- Felix (from the cartoons)
- Figaro (from Pinocchio)
- Jiji (from Kiki’s Delivery Service)
- Luna (from Sailor Moon)
- Pluto (from Edgar Allan Poe’s The Black Cat)
- Salem (from Sabrina: The Teenage Witch)
- Snowball II (from The Simpsons)
- Sylvester (from Looney Tunes)
Black cats are so regal and mysterious. Your mini panther may be a small girl or she may have a cute, little kitten face. Contrary to popular belief, black cats aren’t bad luck. In fact, when they lavish their love on you, you’ll feel pretty lucky.
Along with their regal bearing, black cats are just beautiful. Her black coat and sweet jellybean toes pull you into her orbit. Her luxurious fur will easily set off her eyes, no matter what color they are. Prepare to be met with intense green, blue or yellow eyes, which you love to look into.
Black Cat Names Based on Nature
Nature is full of crazy cool naturally dark elements that make great black cat names.
Spooky, Magic & More
What’s a list of black cat names without scary, Halloween-inspired ideas?
- Hocus Pocus
- Wednesday – (from “The Addams Family”)
Popular Black Cat Names
Black cats deserve love and attention. To get your black cat’s attention, she’ll need just the right name. You’ll have much better luck calling her if she recognizes and likes her new perfect name.
Look at her unique personality as you have fun choosing just the right way to call her. Look through these popular options and try them out on her. Go with her color. Or, if she’s a particularly furry girl, go with the one of a large animal.
Other good choices allow you to make a play on phrases that use “black.” Why not use names that just suggest her fur color?
- Eight Ball
Traditional Black Cat Names
You may have heard these names before, but at least a few will be new to you. Many of them have something to do with being “dark” in some way.
Traditional Black Cat Names
|Abracadabra||Black Orchid||Eight Ball||Moon Shadow||Salem|
|Ashes||Carbon||Grimalkin||Mourning Glory||Shady Character|
|Batman||Coal Dust||Immortal||Night Rider||Soot|
|Blackamoor||Crypt Keeper||Ink Spot||Obsidian||Spooky|
|Black Bart||Darth Vader||Inkwell||Omen||Spot|
|Black Olive||Eclipse||Midnight Runner||Sabrina||Wizard|
Ironic Black Cat Names
For those of you who like to buck the trends and overlook the obvious, here are some names which would be quite ironic for a black cat since they all mean or represent something white, bright, or the opposite of black. Maybe one of these will appeal to your wry sense of humor.
Ironic Feline Names
Famous Black Cats
Some are real; others are characters from television, films and cartoons. No matter where they came from, they have some great names you can borrow.
Binx – This immortal cat from the movie Hocus Pocus is actually a young man who was turned into a cat by three witches.
- Blackie – Although the name’s not very original, the story is quite interesting. Blackie’s owner was a wealthy antique dealer who left approximate $12.5 million to his beloved cat to be used for his care.
- Boo Boo Kitty – Boo Boo Kitty may have just been a stuffed animal, but he brought comfort to his owner Shirley in the TV sitcom Laverne & Shirley.
- Cole – If you frequent Instagram, you probably already know of Cole and his cat Marmalade. These two felines help promote pet adoptions.
- Felix the Cat – This cartoon kitty always seems to find himself in all sorts of crazy situations.
- Luna – This anime feline with a crescent moon on her forehead is the guardian cat from the Sailor Moon series.
- Salem – This is the trouble making cat from the TV show Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Salem was a warlock who was turned into a cat as punishment for his naughty ways.
- Snowball II – From the long-running show, The Simpsons, this cat inherited its ill-fitting name from the original family pet who was white. There have been additional Snowballs on the show over the years with Snowball V billed as “the new and improved Snowball II”- at least until its luck runs out.
- Pluto – Fans of Edgar Allan Poe will recognize this unfortunate feline who gets revenge from the afterlife in the author’s story The Black Cat.
Boy Cat Names
- Ace– A very cool name for your dark cat.
- Asher– This is a pun on Ash or Ashy that is a Hebrew man’s name.
- Bagheera– This is the name of the black panther from The Jungle Book.
- Batman– You could name your cat after the dark-clothed super hero.
- Blackbeard– After the famous pirate.
- Bones – skinny cat name.
- Black Magic– Give this name to a mysterious, black cat.
- Bullet– Ideal for fast cats.
- Caesar – For a domineering cat, like the roman emperor
- Chase – a sprinting cat.
- Cinder– This fiery name is ideal for feisty cats.
- Cooper – after the popular Nollywood actor.
- Darth Vader– This iconic Star Wars character makes for a great black cat name.
- Elvis– You could choose this singer’s name because of his famously black hair.
- Felix– This famous cartoon cat is also black.
- George – means farmer.
- Gulliver – Always hungry.
- Hunter- Or you could try this instead.
- Iron– You could give your cat a tough name like this.
- Java – if you’re a techy you’d like this one.
- Jett– Named after the very dark gemstone.
- Kiwi – wild just like the fruit
- Kona – cool cat.
- Macho – If your cats huge, this is a cool name for him.
- Mage– Dark cats are often considered magical creatures, just like mages.
- Menace– This is another great scary name for your cat.
- Nightmare– For when you want to straight up scare people with your cat.
- Ninja– This stealthy warrior’s name is perfect for dark cats that like to hunt.
- Obsidian– This lovely name refers to a hard, dark substance.
- Orso– You could use the Russian name for bear to describe your cat.
- Pal – a buddy or friend.
- Percy – from ‘percival’ .
- Poe– After the author Edgar Allen Poe who sometimes wrote about black cats.
- Precy – precious cat name.
- Pretz – savvy name for a good-looking black cat
- Ruffles – a cat with lots of fur.
- Salem– Named after the black cat from the Sabrina the Teenage Witch
- Shadow– This names gives your cat a sense of stealth and sleekness.
- Shasta – wild name for a wild cat.
- Smokey– You could go with this option that has been used for dark grey or black
- Snickers – cute name for cats with chocolatey eyes.
- Spike – nice for a cat with spiky fur.
- spyker– A cool, tough name that you may find even more fitting.
- Stallion– A powerful horse makes for a good choice for dark cats that are kind
- Steel– Or you could opt for this equally tough name.
- Sylvester– This is another black cartoon cat whose name you could use.
- Tuxedo– Perfect for black cats with a bit of white on them.
- Venom– Like the comic book villain.
- Wizard– Another appropriate name with magical connotations.
Girl Cat Names
- Aggie – from the name ‘Agatha’
- Autumn – A season that comes between summer and winter.
- Bast– Egyptian goddess who liked black cats.
- Batgirl– You could opt for this female super hero as a namesake.
- Beatrice – this means Bringer of joy and happiness.
- Biele – A dancer
- Blackie – A name for a cat with black fur.
- Bonita – a pretty woman.
- Bubbles – this means an uncontainable activity.
- Buena – Spanish for ‘good’
- Celes – coined from Celestial.
- Charisma – this means charm or appeal.
- Chelsea– A surpassing number of cat owners name their dark cats with this
- Cinta – From the hyacinth flower.
- Cordie – from Cordelia
- Crush- a fleeting or one-sided love.
- Dahlia– After the dark flower.
- Daisy – a flower that has a yellow center and white petals.
- Dewdrop – Nice for cats with eyes like dew.
- Dia – Spanish for ‘day’.
- Diamond – A gemstone.
- Dixie– This unique girl’s name is great for a special black cat.
- Dolly – Pretty as a doll.
- Elle – a beautiful maiden elf.
- Esmeralda – an emerald.
- Ivy- this is a climbing plant. Cats like to climb too
- Jade– Good for black cats with green eyes.
- Jasmine – a sweet-scented flower for a fresh pet.
- Jemma – A precious stone.
- Jet – black color.
- Joey – from ‘Joe’
- Latoya – A cute name for a cat.
- Lavie – from the flower ‘lavender’
- Lilac – A colour somewhere in between purple, pale pink and white.
- Lindo – This name means lovely.
- Lluvia – perfect for cats with rainy eyes.
- Lucy – means light.
- Luna – it means moon.
- Mara– Like a black mare, but with a feminine twist.
- Meredith – this name means sea guardian.
- Meringue – A feathery topping for pastries.
- Millie – from the name ‘Amelia’.
- Minnie – the girlfriend of Mickey Mouse.
- Mystique– This name means mysterious and is often associated with females.
- Nightshade– You could name your cat after the poisonous flower.
- Nefertiti– Egyptian princess whose name is perfect for darker cats.
- Olive– Like the black olive.
- Opal– This is the name of a dark jewel.
- Orchid – a plant with oddly shaped but nicely coloured flowers.
- Paulie – means small.
- Rose– Like black roses that are beautiful in their own way.
- Sabrina– Named after the television witch.
- Sable– This name refers to the color black.
- Safira – Good for cats with eyes coloured like a sapphire.
- Sophia– A lovely name for your lovely cat.
- Storm– Named after the dark-skinned super hero.
- Velvet– We love this beautiful name for black cats.
Mysterious Black Cat Names
- Shadow – Shadows have always been dark and mysterious.
- Phantom – Perfect descriptor for a quiet, sneaky feline.
- Misty – Mist is an elusive phenomenon that mimics the behaviour of some cats.
- Midnight – Nothing is darker or more mysterious than this moment.
- Dracula – A notoriously dark and mysterious character.
- Casper – Since the film, this name has been associated with the paranormal, thus making it perfect for black cats.
- Raven – A traditionally dark creature that doubles as a perfect name for a black cat.
- Ophelia – A beautiful name taken from a dark and mysterious play.
- Gato – Naming your feline “cat” in another language gives it a very eclectic and mysterious feel.
- Ozzy – Who better to name a black cat after than the cryptic Prince of Darkness.
- Elvira – She is the Mistress of the Dark and, even if you don’t recognize the name, it is definitely enigmatic.
Mystic Black Cat Names
- Pluto – This name represents both the ruler of the underworld and the name of the black cat in the famous Edgar Allan Poe story.
- Hades – He is another ruler of the underworld in ancient mythology.
- Loki – He is a trickster who shares many characteristics of wily felines.
- Sphinx – A mythical creature from a culture who idolized cats.
- Voodoo – A practice which has traditionally been viewed as dark and mystical.
- Wicca – A name for a black cat that references the mystical women who traditionally kept them.
- Nimbus – A Latin term meaning “dark cloud” which beautifully describes black cats.
- Tenebris – Literally the Latin term for “darkness”.
- Onyx – A beautiful, shiny, black coloured stone.
- Fortune – A play on the superstition that black cats are unlucky.
- Jinx – This describes what some people may feel about your black cat.
Female Black Cat Names
Black female cats deserve the best girl-cat names. Try out a few of these ones and see how she responds. You’ll find one!
Again, you can think of the names of gems or semi-precious stones to use as her name. Or, you can go back a couple centuries and pick some names that were popular at the beginning of the 20th century.
Read through the names of fruits with dark skins and pick out a few of these names. Even though the name may not refer to her fur color, a popular candy would make a wonderful choice!
Male Black Cat Names
You’ll find it easier to name a black male cat. Just think of a bunch of men’s names or nicknames. Here’s a list that gets you started. If you’re looking for just the right name, pull out a baby names book and check out the boys’ names. As you read the meanings of these names, you should be able to find the name that “is” your cat.
Children’s stories, pirate stories and even astronomy can help you get several name ideas. With astronomy, think of the names of several constellations.
Food and beverage names make great names for your feline.
If for any reason you want to give your furry friend a unisex cat name, check this new article about unisex cat names here.
- Moon eyes
Cute Black Cat Names
Admit it. Your black cat is an absolute cutie. Whether she’s a black kitten or a full-grown girl, you have to find a name that suggests “I’m cute.” Choose girl’s nicknames or even cute French names for your sweetie.
Why not go with names that hybrid cats can wear? If your girl is a mixed-breed, choose a name suggesting her heritage(s).
Look to different cultures as you think of your girl’s name. Make sure you pick one that suggests her coloring.
Choose names that suggest suspense or even luck. Characters from mythology will gladly give their names. Or maybe you could check out these Disney cat names?
- Chi Chi
- Za Za
Cool Black Cat Names
Maybe your cat exudes a “cool” attitude. She doesn’t care what you think. She’s going to do what she wants, when she wants. She won’t do something if she’s not in the mood. Think about the activities or topics you think of as “cool.” That’s subjective, so it’s perfectly okay. The names of board games, superheroes, Gothic characters or weather events can become your cat’s name.
If your black cat is fearless, use that part of her personality to help you find a name. Just remember: Any cool option you choose has to fit your cat’s personality and her looks. Also if she is a bit on the magical side maybe these Harry Potter cat names would be a purrfect fit!
- Hocus Pocus
Names for Unique Black Cats with Green Eyes
Your sweet black cat was blessed with vivid green eyes. Every time you look at her little face, you’re bowled over by her unforgettable and intense looks. You have to find a name that plays on green!
You may decide to choose a name that merely hints at this color. This is fine. Again, choose a name that plays on a well-known phrase. Or choose one that emphasizes the color of her beautiful eyes.
You really don’t have to go with one that uses only green. Instead, why not find a name that blends green with another color?
What is a good name for a male black cat?
Adam, Alfie, Andy, Salem, Shade
What is a good name for a black girl cat?
Abbi, Amy, Godiva, Annie, Ava
What are some unique cat names?
Chi Chi, Clover, Cocoa, Jinx, Cupid
Are black cats boys or girls?
Black cats can be boys or girls.
Choosing the Perfect Name for Black Baby Kittens
While you can name your beautiful black cat anything you want to, sometimes it’s fun to choose a name according to the characteristics of the individual animal. In this case, your kitty’s dark fur usually serves as the first inspiration. Once you get beyond your cat’s color, you can begin thinking about its personality and use that to guide your choices. Is your cat sweet, a bit naughty, or perhaps intellectual? Tailor the name you choose to your cat’s true self, and you can’t go wrong.