Guinea pigs are the cutest of pets you could imagine. With their fluffy, furry, and marshmallow-like structure they are quite vulnerable and need proper care and love from their owners just like a dog or a cat.
Choosing the best guinea pig cage can be quite overwhelming as many people don’t know what to look for in a good cage for a guinea pig. For this purpose, we have created a quick buying guide.
We have also done the work of going through all the buyer’s reviews for the 10 best guinea pig cages so you don’t have to go through the trouble of doing that.
List of top 10 Best Guinea Pig Cages :
Amazon Basics Small Animal Cage Habitat With Accessories
The first one on our list is the Amazon basics small animal cage. This cage is available in 3 sizes and the largest one has the dimensions 48.6×26.6×20.6 inches. The upper top is a wired mesh while the lower one is a plastic crate and it weighs around 18.7 pounds.
It comes with accessories such as a non-drip water bottle, hay guard, and balcony, and a balcony with an access ramp and tip-proof food dish.
There is also a hideaway space underneath the balcony for privacy and the installation does not require any tools.
The product comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
- Light in weight but sturdy.
- Comes with some useful accessories such as a water bottle, hay-guard, dish, etc.
- Installation is very easy.
- Portable and can be used while traveling.
- Easy to access for cleaning purposes.
- Not recommended for putting it for a long time outdoors at low temperatures.
MouseBro Freely Assembled Guinea Pig Cage
This is a lovely cage from Mousebro and it is available in 3 colors. The best part about this cage is its flexible assembly. All the wired mesh parts are connected via a reinforcement buckle, which is quite sturdy.
You can also buy additional mesh for making the design as per your preference, so you can start using your imagination to design the perfect home for your guinea pig.
On the top of the hut-like design, it has rainproof eaves and a windproof half screen baffle is set.
The cage is designed to be suspended so that the bottom tray can be pulled out for easy cleaning. The distance between each wire of the cage is less than one inch so you can leave it anywhere without worrying about the pets would escape.
Now, coming towards other features the paint on the wire is environmentally friendly and non-toxic in nature so you have 0 worries about your pets biting the cage wires. The PP resin will effectively eliminate odor.
Apart from this, you will get a soft hand-woven grass nest, a food dispenser, and a suspended automatic water fountain.
This cage can function as both an outdoor and indoor cage and it is suitable for 2 guinea pigs with the provided wired mesh. The manufacturer is also giving a 1-year warranty and free replacement if any damage occurs during transit.
- Sturdy design with large enough area for 2 guinea pigs and can be expanded.
- This cage comes with a lot of accessories such as a water fountain, dishes, etc.
- The paint on the wires is non-toxic so you don’t have to worry about the nibble your critters will do.
- Ventilation and view are never obstructed with this cage.
- Installation of the cage may take a lot of time
Esright Rabbit Hutch 54.3” Indoor Outdoor Cage
Next on our list is a hutch-type cage that can be used both indoors and outdoors. The dimensions of this cage are 55.7×19.3×34.6 inches. It is made from Newzeland pine.
This is a spacious hutch-type cage for small animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. With a great amount of roaming space and ventilation this cage also offers protection to your pets so that they can live a long, comfy, and happy life against predators.
The cage is made from premium New Zealand pine wood and coated with non-toxic and environmentally friendly waterproof paint creates a comfortable space for rabbits to experience nature.
This cage contains a non-slip ramp, with a private resting room at the upper level. There is a layer of mesh around the cage so that your pets can roam freely in the sun or in the shade inside.
It has an impermeable pull-out tray with mesh which makes it very easy to clean, and an openable front door for easy cleaning and feeding.
The manufacturer is giving a 1-year of warranty.
- Sturdy, spacious, and stylish design.
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Non-toxic paint is used for coating.
- Easy to clean tray.
- Waterproof pitch roof.
- A bit pricey.
- You have to take some extra care of cleaning when it comes to wooden playpens.
Casifor Guinea Pig Cage
This is a quite basic mesh-type cage with dimensions 47×39.4×15 inches. This playpen gives a large area for your pets to roam around freely. It can also easily folds back flat when not in use.
This guinea pig cage is very light in weight. It is made from high-quality materials with durable polyester fabric and a high-strength memory steel holder surrounded by nets.
- Very easy to set up.
- Easy to store when not in use in the provided storage bag.
- Fully ventilated as the top is completely open.
- The price is very low.
- Made of waterproof material which can be washed easily.
- You have to keep this cage away from children and face as it is under spring pressure.
- You have to buy all the accessories separately and for hanging type accessories there is no space.
Guinea Habitat Guinea Pig Cage by Midwest
This particular cage from Midwest has been specially designed for guinea pigs. The base is made of canvas and teal in color and the top is made from white-colored wired mesh.
The cage has a total area of 8 square feet with dimensions 47x24x14 inches.
It is a durable cage, with a leak-proof, washable, and easily removable PVC-lined canvas bottom that allows easy-care, cleaning, and maintenance.
This cage can be used for both indoor and outdoor purposes and the setup does not require any use of tools.
It also comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Large area for your guinea pig to play and exercise.
- Easy to assemble.
- The canvas base is easy to clean and can be dismantled easily.
- Divider panel to keep the cage sanitary by separating the play side from the litter side.
- While moving you have to do it gently as the bottom is made from canvas.
Petsfit Indoor Cage
This is a hutch-type indoor cage that is light grey in color and has the dimensions 35.5x21x21 inches with 2 levels.
It also contains a hideout with a gate size of 5.9×6.2 inches which is suitable for small pets such as guinea pigs. The distance between the iron nets is approximately 1 inch which is enough for a guinea pig.
The deep galvanized pull-out tray with no leakage at the bottom is quite handy for cleaning up and has two latches that are hook and eye-type attachments from top and side.
The non -slip wooden detachable climber ladder is suitable for small pets and the wall guards are built in to stop hay and bedding from being pushed out. Your guinea pig can stay in the cave if he is a shy one.
This cage is made from 10mm Finnish spruce panels which are thicker than others which ensures good sturdiness to use. All the metal meshes are firmly embedded inside the wood with sufficient screws.
The wood surface is coated with safe and environmentally friendly varnish.
- Sturdy design with proper ventilation.
- Easy to clean due to tray at the bottom.
- Non-toxic, environmentally friendly varnish.
- Thick Finnish wood for sturdiness
- Not designed for outdoor usage.
- Wooden hutches need special care otherwise they will start to smell when not in use.
Ferplast Cavie Guinea Pig Cage
Next on our list is the Ferplast Cavie guinea pig cage which has a wired top and plastic bottom. It is available in grey color and has dimensions 30.31×18.9×16.54 inches.
The weight of this cage is approximately 8.46 pounds.
This cage is fully equipped with a dish, water bottle, and a large guinea pig hide-out. This cage is easy to clean as it can be opened from front and side for better accessibility.
These types of cages are durable and easy to carry during travels.
It comes with a 1-year warranty from the manufacturer as well.
- Sturdy wired design with plastic cage.
- Easy to carry
- Easy to clean
- Large room for 1 guinea pig.
- Easy assembly.
- Not recommended for outdoor usage.
Amazon Basics Indoor-Outdoor Small Pet Habitat Cage with Canvas Bottom
Another basic yet effective product from Amazon Basics. This large wired cage has a canvas base and wired top with dimensions 47.64×13.98×24.21 inches.
It can be used both indoors and outdoors and you can also set a divider for guinea pigs and other small animals. The canvas at the bottom provides a textual surface that creates traction and comfort for small, sensitive feet.
The leakproof design keeps pet excreta and water spills contained.
Installation of this cage is very easy and does not require any special tools for setup. You can also dismantle it to store when not in use.
- Sturdy design with a large enough area for your guinea pig to play.
- Divider in between to keep pooping and eating areas separately.
- Canvas cloth bottom which is easy to install and dismantle whenever needed.
- You have to buy the accessories separately.
- Not suitable for traveling purposes.
- You have to be very gentle while moving the cage.
Coziwow Indoor/outdoor hutch
This is a hutch-type cage from Coziwow. It is available in grey color with dimensions 54.7×19.5×34.1 inches. The wire mesh is galvanized.
This cabin provides plenty of space to move and relax and can be used for both indoor and outdoor use. It has 2 levels which are connected by a ramp and you can put multiple pets in this cage.
Firwood is used to make this pen and waterproof paint is applied all over the cage. The wired fencing keeps predators out and allows ample ventilation.
At the bottom, there is a sliding plastic tray that can be easily cleaned by rinsing it under running water for easier cleaning options.
The manufacturer is giving a 1-year warranty.
- Sturdy design with a large area suitable for both indoor and outdoor usage.
- Easy to clean due to easy-to-slide plastic plate.
- Proper ventilation.
- Asphalt waterproof roof.
- A bit expensive.
- The wooden playpen needs some extra care
PawHut Small Animal Cage with Main House
The last one on our list is the Pawhut animal cage with the main house. It is available in 2 sizes and is made of plastic and steel. The color of this cage is black.
This cage has a small main house with an extended playpen area for your pet to move around freely.
As it is completely made from steel wires and a plastic bottom in the main house it provides great ventilation and durability. The black-colored paint helps to fight rust hence making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor usage.
It is light in weight and foldable for easy storage. The hut comes with a water bottle, water bowl, and a food dish.
The roof can be opened for quick cleaning. The main home has 4 castor wheels at the bottom with brakes installed in 2 of them so that you can keep the cage in space.
- Sturdy design with a large play area and main home.
- Easy to move due to 4 wheels at the bottom.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Installation can be a bit tricky for first-time users.
Based on our buying guides, features, and all the online reviews by different pet owners we have come to a conclusion that the Guinea pig cage from midwest homes is the best guinea pig cage.
It might seem a bit basic but it is cheap, sturdy, spacious and you can always buy accessories whatever seems to be important.
If you need a large hutch-type guinea pig cage then you can go with the Coziwow indoor/outdoor cage for guinea pigs.
Complete buying guide for the best guinea pig cage.
Things you need to consider before buying the best guinea pig cage:
2 types of cages are available for guinea pigs:
- Hutches – Generally designed to be kept outdoors and made out of wood. They have an obstructed view as guinea pigs can hide inside them. During the rainy season, hutches keep your critters safe.
- Wire and mesh type
The good old wired mesh design. It is used to keep a lot of small pets and is ideal for keeping them indoors and outdoors. Wired mesh provides better breathability, a clear view of the pet, and sturdiness.
Size and Shape
Guinea pigs are generally small animals and generally, the people who own guinea pigs have many of them. So the size and shape of the cage depend a lot on the number of guinea pigs you own.
For better clarity, you can refer to the table below.
|Number of Guinea pigs||Minimum Size (In Sq.feet)||Preferred|
|1||5.5 sq. ft||The larger the better|
|2||7.3 sq. ft||10.5 sq ft|
|3||10.5 sq. ft||13 sq ft|
|4||13 sq ft||A big one or two small ones|
The ideal temperature for a guinea pig to survive is approximately 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit.
Location is very important and a guinea pig home should be placed away from strong heat, fireplace, heating vents.
Try to avoid putting their cage in a damp area as it will promote the growth of mold and hay in their bedding.
A well-maintained temperature, with proper bedding, ventilation, food/water supplies, and things to play what defined a great habitat for a guinea pig.
You should aim for all these things while buying the best cage for your guinea pig. Try to choose a smoother surfaced hamster cage instead of a rough one.
The opening of the cage should be large enough so that you can easily put your hand inside and clean it easily.
For better accessibility, we would recommend a wired cage with a solid base as hutches are very hard to reach when it comes to accessibility.
Some extra area and ventilation are always appreciated as critters or humans, no one likes to feel claustrophobic.
The hutch type cage should have a balcony and there is no problem of ventilation in a caged one.
The cage should be strong enough to last a few years. The materials used in the construction should be of good quality.
Accessories are not necessary however they will make your critter’s life a lot easier to live inside the cage.
Some of the most famous accessories you can think of are:
- Water bottle- For drinking water.
- Dish- For feeding purposes.
- Bedding- for a good night’s sleep and keeping them warm.
- Chew treats- Some cage comes with chew treats that keep your guinea pigs teeth healthy.
You can purchase any of the accessories if it is not provided along with the cage itself.