The best water bowl for dogs needs to be filled once or twice a day and your lovely pet can enjoy the water whenever he or she feels thirsty.
Buying the best water bowl for your dog is not exactly rocket science but it will be better if you have a little knowledge before selecting one so you will have an idea which one is the best for your dog.
We have catered a list of the top 10 best water bowls for dogs with a quick buying guide that can give you an idea of things that needs to be taken into consideration before buying a good water bowl for your dog.
List of top 10 Best Water Bowls for Dogs
The first one on our list is the Lumo Leaf Dog water bowl.
This slow feeder water bowl for your dog is a great buy as it has a floating disk and an anti-slip base which prevents spillage of water.
It is, made out of different parts which can be dismantled easily for better cleaning.
As it has an anti-skid base so you can easily take it along with you on a trip in your car, RV, or truck.
- Prevents spilling as it is covered.
- The slow feeder provides limited water avoiding any vomit due to the gulping of water.
- The anti-skid design is good for use on almost any surface and can also be used in cars during traveling.
- Cleaning the product is easy as every part can be dismantled and it is also dishwasher safe.
- The slow feeder design also protects the beard and mouth of the dog from getting get unnecessarily.
- The product is made out of plastic, so if your dog is a notorious one this can easily become a chew toy for him.
- The size is good for an average dog, but if you have a large-sized dog then be ready to fill it multiple times a day.
2. MalsiPree Dog Water Bottle, Leak Proof Portable Puppy Water Dispenser with Drinking Feeder for Pets
The next one on our list is the Malsipree dog water bottle. This is a compact water bottle for small dogs and puppies which can be carried around easily.
The design is leakproof as the feeder is made out of a silicon ring with a lock key design for releasing the water as per your will.
This water bottle is made from high food-grade material and due to its small size and capacity it can be carried in a small bag easily.
It comes in quite handy when you and your dog are going for a walk or hike or while traveling.
The one-hand operation makes it quite easy to use as you have full control over the flow of water.
- Very easy to carry.
- You have full control over the flow of water and you can also put the unused water back by pressing the water key.
- Made from food-grade material.
- Easy to use due to single-hand operation.
- Suitable for small-sized dogs, especially puppies.
- Eliminates the need for a water bottle and a separate cup.
- Available in two sizes 12oz and 19oz and 2 colors.
- The size is small.
- Not suitable for large-sized dogs.
- You have to feed the dog manually each time as the water release lock needs to be pressed.
- As it is made of plastic and silicon it can easily become a chew toy if your dog is notorious.
This automatic pet fountain works great for your pets whether it be a dog or a cat.
The fountain is made out of multiple components which can be dismantled easily for cleaning purposes.
It also comes with in-built filters which filter the water for your furry little friends.
The operation noise is below 40 dB which is quite low and lasts for a good 2.5-4 years.
The capacity of this water fountain is 84 ounces or 2.5 liters which is great for small to medium-sized pets.
It is made from BPA free food grade quality plastic which is durable and easy to clean.
The pet fountain comes with a silicone pad that is placed below the fountain to absorb any splash of water.
- The fountain comes with a triple filtration system to keep your pets healthy.
- Made from BPA-free material.
- Looks good in your home and makes water drinking easy for pets.
- The operation is almost noise-free.
- Comes with 3 flow design according to usage.
- The silicon pad contains any water spillage.
- Easy to clean.
- Made out of plastic.
- Needs electricity for the motor to operate.
- The tube of the flower gets slime in it which can become s breeding ground for bacteria if not cleaned properly.
Top Water Bowls for Dogs
This is a unique water bowl that is collapsible. You can easily make a bowl out of a flat surface by pushing it out.
They are best suitable for traveling/hiking/camping. Because of its collapsible body which is made out of nontoxic silicon it takes less space and provides almost 12 ounces of liquid or food capacity. Best suitable for small to medium-sized dogs.
- Consumes very little space and best for hiking/trekking.
- Made with high-quality silicone.
- Easy to clean and also dishwasher safe.
- It has a hook that helps it to attach to a belt, leash, or any other location.
- Can be used for both indoor and outdoor purposes.
- Very cheap
- Available in multiple sizes and colors.
- You can smell the silicon when the packaging is open, this odor dissipates within a few days.
- The size is not too big, just average.
This unique designed travel water bottle for dogs is very easy to use and holds a good amount of water in it.
The unique design allows it to be used as a dog water bottle and a dog bowl both. A great product for dogs during travel. You can fold the silicon cup when needed to convert it into a bowl and close it when done.
The design is leakproof and works by squeezing with the help of a built-in water pipe.
It has a lightweight design that is made out of BPA-free material.
- Unique design made out of BPA-free material.
- Waterproof lock to prevent water leakage.
- The capacity of 18 oz.
- Squeeze and go design.
- Easy to carry due to a convenient hand strap.
- Made out of plastic.
- Cleaning can be a bit difficult.
The old and gold stainless steel bowls with nonslip base, serve a great purpose of both water and food bowl.
It is available in different cup sizes and it is perfect for dry or wet food items for your furry friend.
The bottom is made of silicone which provides the anti-slip base.
The bowls are dishwasher safe also.
- Easy to use.
- Large capacity for all-sized breeds.
- Anti-slip base.
- Easy to clean
- Dishwasher safe.
- The weight is less, so if you have a notorious dog, it can be easily toppled.
- Nothing fancy, just the same old bowl.
- Some dogs get scared by seeing their reflection on the steel surface.
This fountain from pet safe has a large capacity of 100-oz and is perfect for all-sized pets such as cats and dogs.
The upper deck provides better height for old or arthritic dogs. The open bowl design allows your pets to have water even if you lose electricity.
The replaceable carbon filter removes bad taste and odor and also catches pet hairs and debris.
- Made from food-grade plastic and BPA-free materials.
- Perfect for almost all-sized pets.
- Can be used without electricity.
- Filters to take better care of the health of your furry friends.
- The upper deck is dishwasher-friendly.
- Large capacity of 100oz.
- Uses electricity for the fountain to run.
- The motor can burn out if run dried.
- Due to the open structure, some contaminants and impurities might land on the water surface which your pets drink.
Quality Water Bowls for Dogs
As the name suggests this is a classic stainless steel bowl covered with plastic and silicone from the outside which is slightly elevated.
The elevation provides good height for old and arthritic dogs. It is available in multiple sizes as per your need.
- Good for old or small-sized dogs.
- Anti-skid design
- Can be used as a food bowl too.
- Different sizes are available.
- The bowl is dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- Can be used for food as well.
- A heavy base that prevents toppling.
- Durable stainless steel.
- The upper diameter is small for a large-sized dog such as a pitbull.
- The stainless steel bowl is removable which makes it fit wobbly after long-term usage.
The Hulkbulk pet dog bowls are an advanced version of the steel bowls. There is a silicon mat in which these steel balls fit. One can be used for food items and the other one for water.
The full pet dinner set comes in three different sizes. Small for puppies and small dogs, Medium for regular-sized dogs, and large for big dogs.
The base is designed in the shape of a bone that is non-skid in nature and holds the bowls perfectly.
- Easy to use and can be used for both feeding and drinking water.
- The bowls are made out of stainless steel hence durable and rust-resistant.
- A free pet food scoop made out of BPA-free material comes free.
- The silicone mat is anti-skid and catches most of the spills from the sides.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Takes a large space in your home.
- The base is not too heavy so if your dog is mischievous he can easily topple this.
10. Pet Zone Designer Diner ADJUSTABLE Elevated Dog Bowls (Raised Dog Dish with Double Stainless Steel Bowls)
This is basically a plastic table with which adjusts to 3 heights and has two holes in it so that the stainless steel bowls can be placed in it.
The design is best suitable for all-sized dogs and provides an elevation for your dog to provide a healthy feeding position which is important if you have an old or arthritic dog.
- The bowls and legs are easily removable so that it takes less space during storage.
- The bowls are made out of stainless steel so durability and anti-rust properties come along.
- Best suitable for all stages of life of your dog whether it be a puppy, an adult, or an old dog.
- Bowls are dishwasher safer and easy to clean.
- After removing the legs from the table it still takes a good amount of space to store.
- No silicone mat for absorbing spillage.
- No anti-skid mat.
When it comes to buying the best water bowl for dogs there no such things as one size fits all. It depends on the size of the dog and its nature, the material of the bowls, and usage.
That is why we have categorized it into the following categories.
Best water fountain for dogs:- Veken Pet fountain
Best stainless steel bowls for dogs:- Peggy11 No-spill stainless steel bowls.
Best dog water bottle for hiking and outdoor activities:- Malsipree dog water bottle
Things you need to consider before buying the best water bowl for dogs
If you think about how hard can it be to choose the best water bowl for your fluffy friend, then you can be so wrong.
There are several factors that need to be taken into account before buying the best water bowl for your dog.
Most of the bowls are made out of either plastic, ceramic or stainless steel or a mixture of these materials. Let’s discuss each one by one.
Plastic can be the worst choice for a water bowl for dogs. The reason is, plastic sometimes contains a chemical that reacts with food items and liquids.
When ingested it can be fatal for your canine friend. Dogs also tend to chew whatever they can and plastic can break easily by their sharp teeth and can be consumed by them very easily.
Ingesting plastic can be fatal for your dog, or cause diseases such as stomach ache, chin acne, and irritation around the muzzle.
One more bad thing about plastic is that it can become a breeding ground for bacteria if not cleaned properly and create negative effects on the health of your dog.
Our advice is to avoid using plastic bowls and if you have to make sure they are cleaned properly and regularly and the bowl is made out of high grade with BPA-free plastic.
It would be better if you use a bowl that has an amalgamation of plastic with other materials.
A ceramic water bowl for dogs is still a choice for many but just like plastic it also has its drawbacks.
In earlier times ceramics used to have paint which has lead particles in it and can be toxic to your dog’s health.
Make sure it has lead-free paint so that it does not harm your dog’s health.
One more major disadvantage of ceramic bowls is that they are easy to be broken and heavy in weight also. So, as soon as you see a crack or chip in your dog’s ceramic water bowl, it’s time to replace it.
The good old stainless steel is the safest material which can be used to make water bowl for dogs.
The reason is that stainless steel is durable, as it does not crack or break when dropped, light-weight, and easy to clean
While purchasing a stainless steel water bowl make sure that the grade of the steel should be of the best quality which is 304 – stainless steel. The bowls should be dishwasher safe too.
There have been reports in the past that traces of radioactivity has been found in dog bowls, so make sure it is from a renowned manufacturer who does not use any kind of contaminants or cheap material.
Some dogs are big such as a great dane and some are small such as a chihuahua. You have to select the size of the water bowl according to the size of your pet.
It will be of no use to buy a small water bowl for a large-sized dog as you will have to fill it multiple times in a day and it is also useless to buy a big one for a small dog as there are chances that he will spill the extra water everywhere.
Check the liquid capacity of the container it can hold before buying a water bowl for your dog.
Just like the diameter and size in terms of capacity, the height of each breed of a dog differs.
That is why you should go with a water bowl which aligns with the height of your dog or if not it should be adjustable so that you can pull up or push it down according to his height.
Ease of Cleaning
A water bowl for your pet can become a breeding ground for bacteria and other pathogens for your loved pets if they are not cleaned properly.
Make sure that the bowl is easy to clean and does not have small crevices which are hard to clean.
If it is dishwasher safe then it is the best choice.
Type of water bowl according to usage
The modern water bowls come in different shapes and sizes which serve their unique purpose. Some are good for large dogs and some are good for small dogs and puppies.
The different types of water bowls available are as follows:
- Bowls – The classic bowl-shaped and the most simple design. It can be of plastic, ceramic, or steel.
- Fountains – There are generally electrically powered so that they can create a small fountain of water that your pet can use whenever he feels thirsty.
- Nursing – Small water bottles which are used for puppies.
- Collapsible cups – These are plastic cups that can be pushed out and used as a regular bowl for your dog. They are best suitable when you are on a trip with your dog.
- Water bottle – These are some new kinds of water bottles which can be carried along on a trip. They generally come with a makeshift cup, making it easy for your dog to drink water.
Some dogs remain always in excitement and thus spill their water and food everywhere. If your dog is enthusiastic enough and you don’t want spillage everywhere then go with a slow feeder-type water bowl.
These bowls only release a limited amount of water at a time avoiding spillage of extra water and are a great buy if your dog vomits due to gulping extra water.
We hope that our article helps. Kindly give clean water to your pets for a healthier life.